I want to share a list of all the different sites I use to find opportunities for shows, residencies and funding in the arts, hopefully you may also find these useful. I check up on these once or twice a year whenever I go into “apply yourself” mode.
- https://www.callforentry.org/ Shows and public works, Western states focus.
- http://www.collegeart.org/opportunities/ Also has grants and residencies.
- http://artdeadline.com/ Needs some UI help.
- http://www.mdartplace.org/opportunities/maportunities East Coast focus.
- https://www.codaworx.com/ Focus on public art
SEARCHABLE RESIDENCY LISTINGS
- http://www.resartis.org/en/ International
- http://www.transartists.org/ International
- http://www.artistcommunities.org/ USA
- http://www.mesart.com/art/Resources:Artist-in-Residency_Programs USA
CONFERENCES (These ones have an arts track and may be interesting to multi media artists. All have international eligibility. Their location and theme usually changes every year.)
- ACM SIGGRAPH – THE digital graphics conference. IT’s a huge multi-track event. The Studio area has more hands on activities and demonstrations.
- ACM CHI – THE Human-Computer Interaction conference. Also huge and multi-track.
- ACM TEI – Single track conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interfaces. Very good if you work with non-GUI.
- NIME – New Interfaces for Musical Expression, great for new forms in audio.
- ISEA – International Symposium on Electronic Art.
- There’s a slew of other small conferences that may or may not have an arts track depending on the year and organizers but may be compelling to media artists. They include: ACM Multi Media, ACM Creativity and Cognition, ACM Designing Interactive Systems, ACM Audio Mostly, Sound and Music Computing, Electronic Literature Organization.
INTERMEDIA ART FESTIVALS (All have international eligibility)
- Burning Man – You can apply for funding, but grants typically barely cover material expenses. This is probably the harshest installation environment ever. It’s great.
- Currents New Media – In New Mexico.
- Canal Convergence – In Arizona, looks specifically at water and light.
- Ars Electronica – Prix Ars is the Oscars of intermedia art, held in Linz, Austria.
GRANTS AND FUNDING
- http://futuregenerationartprize.org/en “The Future Generation Art Prize established by the Victor Pinchuk Foundation in 2009 is a worldwide contemporary art prize to discover, recognize and give long-term support to a future generation of artists. The Prize is a major contribution to the open participation of younger artists in the dynamic cultural development of societies in global transition.The Prize is an innovative new international award for artists up to 35 years of age, investing in the artistic development and new production of works. Awarded through a competition, judged by a distinguished jury, the Prize is founded on the idea of generosity, a network of outstanding patron artists and institutional partners, and a highly democratic application procedure.”
- http://artadia.org/ “Artadia supports visual artists with unrestricted financial awards and fosters connections to a network of opportunities.” Limited to Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, LA and the SF Bay Area.
- http://www.creative-capital.org/ “Creative Capital has awarded $29 million to 530 groundbreaking artists nationwide through funding, counsel and career development services. Our Professional Development workshops have empowered an additional 6,500 creative minds to strengthen their careers and enrich their communities.” This is the new NEA, their eligibility and deadlines shift. Grants are for $50k plus networking and business support.
- http://source.nyfa.org/content/search/search.aspx?SA=1 The grand master of opportunity listings.
- https://www.gf.org/ The John Simon Giggenheim Memoria Foundation (USA and Canada)
- http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ Of course, in addition to having a great portfolio, you also need to be able to write well to get accepted into these programs. I tend to use overly complex sentence structures myself, and have found Hemingway App immensely helpful for editing my prose, particularly for artists statements and work descriptions. Besides encouraging simplified sentence structures, it also supports a writing style that is more approachable by the general public.
- So lets send what I just wrote there through Hemingway and see what happens: Besides having a great portfolio, you also need to be able to write well to get accepted into these programs. I tend to use complex sentence structures myself, and have found the Hemingway App helpful in editing my artist statements and work descriptions. It supports a writing style that is more approachable to the general public. It also encourages simplified sentence structures.
Updated 21 March 2019.
Comments are closed.